Saturday, June 14, 2008

Blue Shoe by Annie Lamott



Blue Shoe
By Anne Lamott
Anne Lamott has written one of my favorite books but I must admit it isn’t this particular one. Because of her novel Traveling Mercies I wanted to read Blue Shoe. I have had this novel for a while so I thought why not. The story has its interesting moments as Mattie struggles with life: ex-husband, parental infidelity, children, her mothers declining mental state and romance. I must admit at times I was surprised by some of the things that she wrote while proclaiming her character as Christian. I should have taken into account the fact that she is writing about real living breathing people not an idolized individuals. The characters are full of human flaws as she fights with the kids, sleeps with her ex-husband and falls in love with her married best friend. The story is full of the hope that being a Christian gives us no matter how imperfect we are. Being a Christian is the one point that she never loses sight on within her difficulties.

No comments: