Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Shack by William P. Young

The Shack
William P. Young
I related to this book on so many levels because for a large portion of my life I was very angry with God. Even to the point that I stopped believing in him or in this case her. I wish this book would have been written many years ago. It would have helped me to heal more quickly. Believing and trusting allows Mack to take a journey that provides healing for himself and his family. It is through that journey that we are able to gain a better understanding of God in the difficult moments of life. Some have problems conceptualizing God as a women but I like this because I we need to recognize that we are not able to limit God. I felt encouraged by much of what takes place in the story. So much of it spoke to me on a personal spiritual level. In several areas it also reminded me of how different God is from what we humans have tried to make “him.” There are also several biblical lessons that take place through out that add to a better understanding of God. I have already loaned out a copy of this book to a friend and there are others in my work place who wants to read this book.





2 comments:

Heart of Wisdom said...

I was impacted profoundly too. IMHO I believe those with a lot of hurt are impacted more.

I reviewed "The Shack" today.
http://heartofwisdom.com/blog

Melanie said...

It helped me to realize that the point wasn't God being a woman, in fact that wasn't the case in the end. God just revealed himself in that way in order to speak to the main character who needed that at the time. In the end, God was no longer "feminine" as I recall. But it was a great book that forces you to think outside the box that we put God in and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't intended as a theological treatise, but it was a great work of fiction with a great message, imho.